Thursday, October 21, 2010

Email of 10/21/10

So life here at the MTC is a lot like last week, but I have so many stories to share. Please ignore typos, I don't always have time to go back and fix them!

I got my travel papers this week. There are three of us traveling to the mission together. A Sister to the visitor's center, a Spanish-speaking Elder, and myself. We leave the front desk at 6am. Way better than my companion who leaves the day before on Monday... she has to be there at 3am. Which means I get to be there at 3 'cause we'll still be companions!

We Just got back from the temple. It was wonderful! It was good to be reminded of the promised blessings we receive from the Lord. Sis. Goodman and I were waiting for the other sisters, and a patron walked by and asked where we were going. I told her Nebraska, and she demanded I get up and give her a hug. She told me I was going to the BEST MISSION ON EARTH! She and her husband served there until last July. She know so much, and all the things she told me just made me even more excited! What was the best, though, was what she said when I told her I was a full-time proselyting missionary. She said the visitor center sisters were great, but that the full-time proselyting missionaries had a special place in her heart because of how dedicated and hard working they were! I can do this!!!!

Tuesday night before devotional we were sitting waiting for the prelude to start. See at quarter 'til, the missionary sing hymns for the prelude. A brother went to the podium and reminded us that we didn't stand to sing they hymns of Zion, but if one of the Brethren walked, in we stood immediately. We all knew what that meant. We started singing the first hymn, and right as we did Elder Nelson walked in. The Spirit I felt when over 2000 missionaries stood to honor an Apostle of the Lord was amazing. I'm getting chills now just remembering it.

He had so much great advice for us and really helped me feel ready to go to the mission field next week. One thing he said was, "Having character is better than being one." and Sis. Nelson shared that we are in the Lord's Army, and we're fighting a great battle! The scriptures are our shield, and Preach My Gospel is our sword. Another great quote I heard this week was that we should arise each day and think, "How can I offend Satan today?" I loved that.

One of our teachers is Sis. Smith. She is so amazing, but she talks at like a mile a minute and gets randomly side tracked. Anytime she has a random thought we all call out "squirrel" and then we laugh and get back on track. We say squirrel a lot here. I feel so at home!

At the fireside on Sunday Sis. Beeson was speaking. Her husband is the executive secretary for the MTC. She did the funnest thing ever! She sang the day of a missionary. All hymns or primary songs. Just clips here and clips there that described our day like, "The Day Dawn is Breaking, the Saints are awaking... Ere You Left Your Room this Morning, Did You Think to Pray... Who's on the Lord's Side, Who?... I NEED Thee Every Hour"... and so on. It was amazing and really helped me realize just how long and crazy our days are!

So, you all should go to mormon.org and watch the video about Paris Thomas. http://mormon.org/me/1RY0-eng He is a friend of mine from LDSBC and the video is so touching. It had most of our class in tears.

Wow, this is so many random thoughts, sorry... you know how it goes when you have a timer in the corner of your screen telling you to hurry and type faster.

Yesterday I was able to be a New Missionary Host. It means I got to take new sisters and get their keys, take them to their residence, then get their name tags and supplies and show them to their classroom. Well the first sister I hoted was Sis. Amberley Full!!!!!!!! (One of Melanie's closest friends from school.) We ran and jumped and hugged and screamed when we saw each other! And then the next sister I hosted was her companion.

I have a favor for all of you: I feel your prayers so much and know I receive so much strength from them. If you could also pray for me to be able to fall asleep quickly at night and be awake and alert in the day, that would be amazing! I'm so tired here because it takes me forever to fall asleep at night.

Well I love you all so much! The Church is true, Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and the Book of Mormon testifies of that truthfulness!
I love being a missionary!
Love,
Sis. Novak

P.S. Wish me luck. I'm auditioning with Sis. Wright in about an hour to sing the special musical number at the fireside Sunday night. Who knows if I'll be able to, but just the idea of singing in front of 2100 people scares me just a little bit!

No comments: