Thursday, May 5, 2011

The finishing touches...

We thought of a lot of details when designing Sallie's reception. We didn't want any huge open spaces. We wanted things to feel small and intimate, even though we were in a huge outdoor area. We did this in many ways and in lots of different places.
On the table where guests signed a photo album of pictures we positioned these three lanterns. They filled in the void at the back of the table and allowed a circle visual flow on a square table.
One of my favorite things, ok my absolute favorite thing, was a card box I made. It's sitting on the table in the picture below. With gift cards being such a popular way to gift the happy couple we wanted a safe home for them during the reception. I took an old oval box lying around our house and cut a slit in it. After padding it with quilt batting I covered it in cream silky fabric. The base for it I made out of cardboard and an old shadow box for height. I just LOVE the gathered and pleated fabric around the base. I added some ribbon and flowers and we ended up with exactly what I had pictured.
The tables had simple center pieces, per Sallie's request. I loved them. AND they were about as easy as center pieces can get! I bought some chocolate satin and cut it into 12" squares. To avoid hours of sewing I opted to heat set them rather than hem them. To heat set satin, at least bigger pieces like these, you need a candle. Immediately after cutting it, giving it less time to start fraying, you wipe the edges through the lit flame. Just be careful to move a little quickly because it will catch fire, just move it along slow enough to melt the edges to set them.
Then we got glass bowls and floated roses in them. We bought a group of country roses, much smaller petite roses. We took a few and plucked off all their pedals and floated those around the whole rose in the center. Bowls of Chex Mix and Peanut Butter M&Ms adorned either side.
I didn't have much to do with the cake table. Well I did set the engagement picture of Sallie and Luke to the side of the cake, but that was it. BUT it was just too breath taking of a cake to not include it in the blogging. Tammy Haymond made it and it was DELICIOUS!!! It was white cake with thick chewy frosting between the layers. Topped with chocolate ganache and fresh berries. So tasty!
Well there you have it! Sallie's reception. Pretty amazing huh? So many people put so much work into it being perfect. I hope it was! I told my mom I hope she took notes cause it was pretty much exactly what I want. Just different colors. I hope Sallie doesn't mind I turned her reception into a test run for my own... one day at least I hope!

No comments: