I am very happy to announce that I'm still in North Platte. Transfers were last week and Sis. Stenquist and I get to stay together til at least January 20th. We're beyond excited to still be together. We're also way excited that we get to actually see out the Christmas plans we had for here! I just love North Platte and really don't ever want to leave. Well maybe for somewhere warmer, but I don't think that's an option in my mission. It never broke 20 degrees Saturday and with the windchill it was below zero. I'm so grateful for layers galore! I manage to stay pretty warm.
I've been cleared to not go to the dr again for 3 weeks! I know that sounds lame, but I'm so excited. So unless somethings happens I'm in the clear for a while. I am feeling much better with pain only about 60% of the time rather than 95-100%. I'll take 60%! The meds are helping, which mean that they're really treating the problem, and I got one more to try today that Dr. Murdock really thinks will do the trick. I really pray it does!
So onto missionary things: We have another investigator set for baptism. His name is Raymond. This is his 4th time taking the lessons. He says he knows it's all true he just hasn't ever felt ready to make those commitments to the Lord. So prayers for him and being able to find the strength he really has would be so helpful.
We're still working with Patrick and Perla. They want to be baptized so bad and their parents are OK with it, but the parents don't do anything to try and help them. The only thing holding them back right now is their church attendance, or lack there of. We've gone over there the last 3 Sundays at 8:15 or so and knocked and knocked to try and wake them up and get them to Church. All to no avail. We're at a total loss of what to do. These kids are only 11 and 12. Yes they are old enough to get up on their own, but their parents let them stay up until 4 or 5 Saturday night, then they're so tired they can't wake up in the morning. So we just don't know what else to do. We're praying that their parents will get involved and help or that the kids can find a way to do it on their own.
On Saturday we got to go up to Sandhills (a very far spread geographic area made up of 10 or so little tiny nothing towns) for the open house of their new building. It was the tiniest building I have ever seen! They only have about 30 people that meet with them, but they're so excited for a new building. They've been meeting for years in a community owned church with no running water and very little heat in the winter or air in the summer. They even had to use an old fashioned out house out back. The new building only has a tiny chapel the size of a normal relief society room and then 5 classrooms. So tiny. But way cute. We got to welcome people and then offer them free gifts (like a MOTab Christmas CD, The Family Proclamation, and The Living Christ) on their way out. We also got to see the elders that serve up there and it's always fun to see other missionaries. On the way up we passed the Church owned ranch up there. I had no idea how big it was, around 275,000 acres. HUGE!
I don't know if I've ever told you about Sarge or not. If I have sorry, you can hear it again. Sarge is a mid 60s man in our ward. His wife is not a member. Just about everyday he calls us and asks if we want something to drink like Cocoa. If we have time that day we'll say yes and go out to the gas station by his house. He'll get us sodas or cocoa and then we sit with him and his wife and chat for a few minutes. We're only really OK with it cause it's the only way we can build a relationship with Cathy and we really want to teach her. Last week we offered and she accepted our help to go out and help her set up Christmas. We got to put up the tree with lights and the ornaments and hang garland from the ceiling. She invited us back this week to help her make Christmas goodies. It is a really good service opportunity cause we're helping her, but also getting to constantly plant small seeds that we're hoping will bloom soon as she accepts the gospel.
Well I think that's about all.
I love you all so much! the Church is true. I'm amazed each day at how much I learn and grow while I'm serving the Lord. I've been focusing my study a lot on faith. I love that faith, hope, and charity work together. They strengthen one another and help us accomplish the Lord's work.
I know the Lord loves each one of you. I hope we are all able to remember the reason for this season and turn our hearts to the Savior. I love you all and can't wait to hear from you in just a few weeks... Christmas is right around the corner!
Love,
Sis. Novak
No comments:
Post a Comment