Sunday, January 16, 2011

Email of 12/27/10

Hello Family!

Christmas was amazing. I wasn't able to share details with all of you so here is what our Christmas day was like:
Sis. Stenquist was too excited to sleep at all. I woke up around 4 and went to the bathroom. When I came back in our room she rolls over and says, "Merry Christmas!" To which I mumble something in return and crash back on my bed. But then I started thinking about getting to talk to all of you and presents and the day we were going to have... I never fell back asleep. So around 4:30 I gave up all hopes of returning to dreamland and got up. We opened presents around 5 and then started breakfast and our personal studies for the day. I was super tired and getting emotional over everything and I wanted to enjoy all our calls and not cry through all our calls so I headed back to bed.

Around 9 we headed out to the Gentry's and spent the day with them. We were told by them, and then approved by our district leader, that PJs were mandatory. So we spent the day lounging around in comfy clothes spending time with a family we love so much. We opened presents with them when we first got there. We got something little for each of them and they gave us fuzzy socks, Nebraska Husker hoodies, and gloves. Plus an UNO deck to share.

We enjoyed an amazing dinner of prime rib, sauteed mushrooms, twice baked potatoes, green beans, salad, and crembrule (totally wrong spelling) for dessert. Then I got on the phone and started calling all of the family. After calls we played games for a while and then headed home around 7:30. It was an amazing day and we had a great time thinking of loved ones and focusing on our Savior.

Other things from last week:
We were teaching a less active family with two little boys. Their son Mason is 4 and Body is almost 2. They were in the other room playing when Mason ran in the room and said very excitedly, "Hey Mom no worries, Brothers hair cut is all done." We were all a little speechless and the parents both ran to the other room. The Dad couldn't stop laughing and the Mom couldn't stop saying "Mason, what on earth did you do?" They came back in a minute or two later and explained that Mason had soaked Body's hair with a spray bottle grabbed and pair of scissors and cut a big chunk of hair off the top of his head. You couldn't really tell too bad, but the experience was hilarious. He was just so calm about it, yep I cut brother's hair...it's just what he needed.

We got to drive out to Kearney this week. It's about 100 miles each way so we had lots of time to enjoy the scenery of Nebraska. It started raining on our way home... here's the thing about rain in the winter in Nebraska. It's more of a thick mist and it freezes to the windshield before the wipers can get it off. So we drove down the road, like everyone else, with huge chunks of ice all around the border of the windshield. Thankfully our defrost works well and we were able to keep enough of the window clear to see to drive.

Another night this week some members took us out to see lights at Cody Park. Each year the City puts up "Santa's Workshop." Since it was a community event and allowed for us to meet and greet lots of people we were given permission to go. We had fun on the carousel and hay ride through the workshop. Hot coco was only 50 cents so we all enjoyed some. It was a great night. It really helped us to not get homesick. We were able to do so much with members this last week that was so fun... we hardly had time to feel homesick.

This week we're excited for a normal week, though. We have district meeting tomorrow so we'll have to go out to Broken Bow again, but the rest of the week should be normal. No Dr appointments are scheduled for either of us and we're looking forward to that.

I love the work here and I love being a missionary!

Love,
Sis. Novak
enjoying milk and cookies of Christmas Eve
Riding the carousel at Cody Park
Christmas night at the Gentry's in our new Husker hoodies!

No comments: