Greetings from North Platte!
Well let me tell you about life in the mission field this week... it's amazing!
Monday was a great Pday. We shopped for hours trying to find specific things we wanted for Christmas. It was fun buying for each other with the other there. But neither saw what we got so we're excited for Christmas morning. Monday night we went to Lincoln (about 4 hours away) and spent the night with the sisters there.
Then Tuesday we had Zone conference. (a meeting when all the missionaries in 2 zones (about 60 missionaries) get together for training with the mission president and his wife) This training was on reflective listening. I got some great ideas on how to teach a few of our investigators and it's helped my companionship a lot. We also had a white elephant gift exchange and then Pres and Sis. Kunz had gifts for us. They framed a picture of the Winter Quarters Temple for us. They had custom temple recommend holders made for all of us. They have the Winter Quarters temple on them and then inside instead of words from the dedicatory prayers it's D&C 84:88. Then it has "Merry Christmas 2010 President and Sis. Kunz." They're really cool.
Wednesday was a hard day. I had a lot of pain that morning so we didn't get out of the apartment til after lunch. But we were able to meet with a few less active families.
The rest of the week was pretty normal. Every single one of our appointments fell through, but we were able to drop in with some families and share a message with them. Sis. Stenquist came down with a horrible cold so we were out for Friday and Saturday with that.
Well I am so excited for this week. Let me tell you!!!! In a few minutes we're headed to a members home to make almond butter kiss cookies with her. I'm SOOOO excited! Tomorrow will be a normal day. Wednesday we have to go to Broken Bow (about an hour and a half from here) for a district meeting. (same idea as zone conference but with just 6 missionaries and we're trained by other missionaries) We get to go to the old fashioned soda shop after again for lunch... that night a member is taking us out to dinner and then out to Buffalo Bill's old manor (North Platte was his home town) for a Christmas tour. Thursday night the Johnson family is making us home made Cafe Rio. Beth will probably be the only one to understand the significance of this. But Cafe Rio is the best Mexican Food around! We're so excited!
Christmas Eve Bishop Odle from the 2nd Ward has invited us out to spend the evening with his family. They're having hand battered fried shrimp and homemade clam chowder... can we say heaven?!? Christmas we will spend with the Gentry family... they told us to wear our PJs and come early for breakfast. They have a tradition of having cinnamon roles on Christmas Morning. So I'm excited to have that Christmas tradition carried on here. Then I get to call and talk to the family!!! YAY!
Well I love you all. I'm so grateful for this time of year that we have to remember our Savior. His life is the greatest gift we have ever received. I love being here and sharing the message of His life with those who don't know. I'm grateful each morning to be able to put on my name tag and show the world that I have something special in my life. The gospel makes us a special people. We have the knowledge of Salvation at our finger tips. We are truly a blessed people.
I know that Jesus is our Savior and that by showing our love to those around us this Christmas season we are able to show Him our love for Him. I hope you each enjoy your Christmas.
I love being a missionary!
Love,
Sis. Novak
No comments:
Post a Comment